Recent Update from Lea, Class of 2011

latest news from a graduate from a few years ago
finding her passion in accounting

We received the email from Lea Horsman earlier this summer. She completed the Executive Hotel Management Diploma in 2011 and earned a variety of career experience and education since then.

Recent Linkedin Update indicates she is going after her Accounting Degree with Thompson Rivers University and also started working at a Chartered Accountancy Firm, MNP at Fort Saint John, B.C.

Hello Mayumi,

Please give Eric my regards as well.

For the past two years I have worked at the Hotel Grand Pacific in Victoria. Six months after I was hired as Assistant Restaurant Manager, the Restaurant Manager position became available and I was hired. I was the department head for the hotel's two restaurants, hotel lounge and room service departments. The experience I gained from my time at the hotel was wonderful and it gave me the opportunity to develop all of the skills I learned at IHMC.

During my time as Restaurant Manager I accomplished the following:
 
-The Mark was awarded the 4 diamond status for 2013 and 2014.

-The Hotel Grand Pacific wine list was awarded the Silver Glass Award from the International Wine Festival for both 2013 and 2014.

-I completed both my level 1 and level 2 sommelier course.

-I was able to work with the hotel's sommelier to reformat the wine list and purchase new wines.

-I created a new cocktail list for the hotel's lounge.

-I executed exclusive dinners for the Victoria Whisky Festival, Chaine des RĂ´tisseurs and Long Shadows Winery Winemaker's Dinner with Gilles Nicole for both 2013 and 2014.

I ended my employment with the hotel in March of this year and moved to Fort St. John. The experience and knowledge I received from the Hotel Grand Pacific is something I will always keep with me and I am proud to continue to represent the hotel as I continue to grow into a new career.

I have applied to the Bachelor of Commerce program at TRU with specialization in Accounting.

My experience at the hotel in Victoria helped me to develop myself and my skills and, in turn, I have found the area in which I want to take my career.

After completion of the BComm program I hope to obtain employment within a hotel again in the accounting department and continue my career within the hospitality industry.

My best to all of you at IHMC, and thank you again for all of the wonderful resources you provided to me. Without them I would not have accomplished all that I have.

Best regards,

Lea Horsman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress Code: 'Hotel Wear'

Michael Jackson’s Most Memorable Hotel Visits